Collegiate Challenge is a unique one-week volunteer program where college and sometimes high school students come to Cabarrus County during their Spring Break to learn about substandard living conditions and how affordable housing builds strength, stability and self-reliance for homeowners. They work on the build site all day and stay at local churches, shower at the West Cabarrus YMCA and have meals provided to them from the community.
We are lucky to already have two colleges lined up to join us for our 2019 Collegiate Challenge with hopefully more on the way. Will you help our student volunteers by being a food partner for us in March?
We are looking for volunteers, restaurants or churches who are willing to provide lunches or dinners to the students during the week. We will be sure to feature the good work you are doing on our social media and acknowledge you on our website!
2018 Collegiate Challenge Schools
Waynesburg University is a private, Christian university located in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. This is their 6th year in a row volunteering with Habitat Cabarrus.
Stockton University is a public university located in New Jersey.
Georgia Institute of Technology, commonly referred to as Georgia Tech, is a public research university in Atlanta, Georgia
University of Maryland, College Park is a public research university located in the city of College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland, approximately 4 miles from the northeast border of Washington, D.C.
Thank you to these local businesses and organizations that are helping us with this year's Collegiate Challenge by providing for our Collegiate Volunteers.
- St. James Lutheran – Concord
- First Presbyterian – Concord
- Connect Christian – Concord
- West Cabarrus YMCA
- McGill Baptist – Concord
- Presbyterian Men
- Mt. Hermon Lutheran – Concord
- Calvary Lutheran – Concord
- Central United Methodist Men
- Chick Fil A – Concord Parkway North
- Target – Afton Ridge
- Burger King – Concord Pkwy South
- Domino’s Pizza – Concord
- Wendy’s – Kannapolis
- Jimmy Johns – Concord
Here’s how you participate:
- Gather a group of five or more participants
- Everyone must be 16 years of age and older
- Pick a local Habitat and work week from our site lists
You will have the chance to:
- Improve your skills
- Connect with new people in a new place
- Put your faith into action
- Make a difference in Habitat for Humanity’s work of eliminating substandard housing
For more information or to sign up, visit the Habitat International website.